Happy New Year! (it’s okay to say Happy New Year in the last week of the month, right?)
As we get ready to close out the first month of the year, I’m curious, how did you do with your New Year’s Resolutions? Are you still on track? Did you fall off the wagon already (no judgment, really)?
Wherever you are on your health journey, today’s blog is just what you need to give your morning routine a healthy make-over. By creating healthy habits in the morning, it will prepare you for a day full of sustainable energy levels, productivity and clear thinking.
To get you started on your healthiest year yet, here are my go-to morning rituals:
1. Sleep. In order to have a solid morning ritual, you need a good night’s sleep so you wake up feeling renewed, recharged and refreshed. Plan to get 8 solid hours. Don’t drink anything 3 hours prior to bedtime so you avoid waking up to use the bathroom. Too many of my clients wait to drink their water until later in the day which means you go to bed with a full bladder. Be sure to release any excess fluid before you fall asleep. Do you have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep? Contact me and I will share some tips that have worked with other clients who have had trouble sleeping.
2. Drink at least 16 oz of water upon waking. Drinking water first thing in the morning is so important to our health and wellness. We are most dehydrated in the morning so before coffee or tea (caffeine further dehydrates you), drink water. After giving your body the water and fuel it needs, you may notice you have enough energy and don’t crave the caffeine anymore!
3. Enjoy a green smoothie each morning. Flooding your body with liquid nutrition from fruits and dark leafy greens each morning energize your system and leave you feeling alive! To save time in the morning, make your smoothie the night before and store it in a glass jar with a lid, so you can grab it and go in the morning. Better yet, make a batch of green smoothies for the week; they store fine for a few days. Just shake ‘em up and drink it down! Check out one of my favorite green smoothie recipes on my Facebook page.
4. Take Juice Plus+, Probiotics and Fish Oil. These are the 3 supplements I recommend to my clients in order to keep them nutritionally fit. Juice Plus+ is fruits and vegetables in capsules which help to bridge the gap between what you are eating and what you should be eating. Probiotics help boost your immune and digestive system by adding back healthy bacteria to your body creating balance. Fish oils are anti-inflammatory and help your heart, skin, brain and joints stay healthy.
5. Breathe deeply. Don’t rush. Haste makes waste. Plan ahead and organize your week on the weekends so your mornings are enjoyable and relaxing. Make your smoothie and pack your lunch the night before with leftovers from dinner so you have time for yourself in the morning. I call it ‘M.E’ time. A time for Meditation and Exercise.
When you have a healthy start to your day, it makes it much easier to stay on track. Try setting small, realistic goals for yourself so over time, you enjoy your routine and actually look forward to it! Do you have any other tips on how to make the mornings more relaxing and enjoyable? I’d love to hear from you in the comments on my Facebook page.
Wishing your your healthiest year yet,